CEI Architecture is proud to announce that Willingdon Business Park Phases 8 & 9 have officially achieved LEED Gold certification. This project adds to our growing portfolio of sustainable projects including the recent certification of the University of Victoria Administrative Services Building, also LEED Gold. This final stage of Willingdon Park in Burnaby is the culmination of 25 years of design and development of one of Metro Vancouver’s most highly regarded business parks.
The twin buildings represent nearly 190,000 square feet of first class technology-oriented office space and now house a division of Fortis Energy. The mirrored structures create a strong architectural statement framing a central plaza with massive panel-clad arches and featured light spires. Many sustainable design initiatives have been incorporated in the buildings to achieve the LEED Gold Certification, including:
– Private shuttle from the park to major transportation hubs.
– Bicycle storage and changing rooms.
– Preferred parking for low-emitting and fuel-efficient vehicles.
– All lighting is concentrated to fall within the property to reduce light pollution.
– LED lighting targets more than 20% reduction in energy consumption.
– 21.1% reduction in energy use.
– Solar hot water panels supplying pre-heated water.
– High-efficiency glazed curtainwall.
– Renewable energy certificates will supply 70% of the building energy use for the next 2 years.
– High efficiency irrigation.
– Water efficient fixtures provide over 40% reduction in water use.
– Dual flush and low flow toilets and fixtures.
– Potable water use reduction targeted for 40% reduction.
Waste & Materials
– Achieved more than 80% diversion of construction materials from landfill.
– Over 10% of materials contain recycled content and be sourced regionally.
– Over 50% of all wood is FSC certified.
– Steel supplied through Heritage Steel with 98% of materials from post-industrial waste.
– All paints, coatings and sealants are low-emitting formulas.
– Over 75% of spaces will have access to daylight.
– Over 90% of spaces will have a view to the outdoors.
– Cleaning and maintenance plan uses only healthy cleaning products.
With this final stage of development completed, Willingdon Business Park now provides a total area of nearly 1,000,000 square feet, as well as many on-site amenities to encourage a healthy, sustainable community and a campus-like feel. Amenities include service retail, cafes, meeting and conference facilities, as well as multiple fitness centres with lockers, showers and secure bicycle storage. Circling the park is the ‘Willingdon Mile’, a soft-surface jogging trail that winds through the natural surrounding landscape and borders Still Creek.
Willingdon Business Park Phases 8 & 9 have also recently won the Award of Excellence in the Office Category at the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver Commercial Building Awards, 2011.